Hmm, who doesn’t love a delicious Shamrock Shake from Mcy D’s? Especially around St. Patty’s day! They’re super delicious, butttttt, there’s one BIG problem. They are TERRIBLE for you. In fact, there’s proof this year stating several reasons why you should skip the “shake” (read it here).
My boyfriend bought a bottle of peppermint oil about 6 months ago, and since then, we’ve only used it about once. So I decided to mix-up a minty-shake one day while I was craving an entire sleeve of Thin Mints (because how can you eat just one?). Turns out, there are quite a few “healthy” alternatives to McDonald’s Shamrock shake, but mine’s a little bit different. Hope you enjoy! Bonus: no hidden ingredients here!
- 1 cup almond milk (I used 1/2 water, 1/2 almond milk)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 avocado
- A whole bunch o’ spinach (or kale). I used 1/3 of a bag.
- 1/2 tsp peppermint oil
- Generous drizzle of agave nectar, or honey (use as little or as much as you’d like, depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 tbs chia seeds!
- Cup (or more) of ice
- Optional: Protein powder (I recommend vanilla or plain), dark chocolate on top 🙂
- Blend it, duh!
- Enjoy without the guilt!
Happy St. Patricks Day!