The other morning, I scavenged my fridge for something to whip up for breakfast. Jumping from buying a rental property to bringing a puppy home, hasn’t left me with much time to make a trip to the grocery store (or blog…more posts to come – I promise!). I found a few eggs, orange juice, almond milk, and some leftover canned pumpkin from this recipe. I was in the mood for a smoothie, so I decided to mix things up a bit (pun intended) and try making a smoothie that matched the season. I wasn’t too sure how it’d turn out, but I absolutely loved it! Kyle (my boyfriend) said “It tastes like the offspring of a banana and a pumpkin!”
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin (I use Trader Joe’s Organic pumpkin)
- 1 frozen banana (tip: bananas turning brown before you can eat them? Take the peels off and throw them in the freezer – it makes for a colder smoothie and you will always have some on hand without them going bad!)
- 4-6 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 squeeze of agave nectar (add until desire sweetness)
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp chia seed
- Dash of cinnamon
- Optional: I like to throw in instant oats and/or almonds if I have them on hand. They add extra texture to the smoothie!
Tip: Want to add more protein to curb your hunger? Toss in some plain, vanilla or chai tea flavored protein powder for an even more satisfying meal!
- Throw all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and top with pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and/or granola!