Mmmm, Taco Bell. Sure, a quick stop through the drive-thru sounds like a fantastic idea until you devour your taco and feel sick only moments later. I have a pretty weak stomach (my allergy to dairy doesn’t help, either), so I try not to eat fast food at all (…but *if* I do, Wendy’s spicy chicken sandwich for the win). Back in college Taco Bell was a once-a-week thing. My eating habits weren’t too great back then so I never got an upset stomach after inhaling a Crunchwrap. Just because I make a point to eat healthier now does not mean I don’t have the typical cravings every now and again. I mean, who the heck doesn’t enjoy a Crunchwrap supreme anyway? Have you ever had one? Well let me fill you in if you haven’t… Seasoned ground beef, nacho cheese, a crunchy corn tortilla, sour cream, lettuce and tomato all wrapped inside a large flour tortilla. With some inspiration from my friend and colleague, Kristina, I decided to give her healthy crunchwrap recipe a go, with a few added changes of my own. They were MORE delicious than I thought they would be and my friend, Sergio, and I loved them.
- 1 lb ground turkey (saves on the calories and fat!)
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix (I make homemade taco seasoning. Recipe to come soon!)
- 6 burrito-size wheat tortillas (the bigger, the better! These puppies aren’t the easiest to fold!)
- 6 tostada shells, corn tortillas, hard taco shells (what I used) OR crushed tortilla chips for the crunch
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (a healthy alternative to sour cream. And BONUS: GY is loaded with protein)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- cooking spray (I use olive oil cooking spray)
- Optional: pile in your favorites! Queso (like Taco bell does), peppers, jalapenos, onion, etc.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground turkey until no longer pink. Drain grease. Stir in the taco seasoning mix, and water as it calls for on package. Cook according to package directions.
- Place the flour tortillas on a large plate. Microwave for 20 seconds to warm them.
- Lay one flour tortilla on a flat surface. Spread 1-2 tbsp’s of Greek yogurt on the tortilla then sprinkle some of the Mexican cheese on top.
- Add 1/2 cup of taco meat onto the center of the tortilla. Drizzle a couple of Tablespoons of cheese over the meat. Top meat with one hard taco shell or crunched up tortilla chips. Top with lettuce, tomato and a little more shredded Mexican cheese.
- To fold the crunch wrap, start with the bottom of the flour tortilla and fold the edge up over the center. Continue to work your way around, folding the flour tortilla over the center fillings. There will be a spot left open in the center; cut a piece of another flour tortilla and tuck it in the center, so it’s fully covered.
- Repeat with all remaining tortillas and fillings. You should have about 4-6 crunch wraps total, depending on how generous you are with your ingredients.
- Spray a large, non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Place one Crunchwrap seam-side down onto the skillet. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, or until golden-brown (tip: if you prefer your Crunchwrap to be extra crispy, use a spatula and push the wrap down in the skillet). Carefully, flip over and cook other side until golden-brown. Repeat process with all Crunchwrap. Serve immediately and top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and your favorite hot sauce!
- Serve with sauteed peppers and onions, and rice (I made a mix of qunioa and brown mexican rice – pictured above).